Medication Errors Led to Disastrous Outcomes
1. Search the internet and learn about the cases of nurses Julie Thao and Kimberly Hiatt.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2. List and discuss lessons that you and all healthcare professionals can learn from these two cases.
3. Describe how the principle of beneficence and the virtue of benevolence could be applied to these cases. Do you think the hospital administrators handled the situations legally and ethically?
4. In addition to benevolence, which other virtues exhibited by their colleagues might have helped Thao and Hiatt?
5. Discuss personal virtues that might be helpful to second victims themselves to navigate the grieving process.
What is your Implicit Bias?
Implicit bias involves associations outside conscious awareness that leads to a negative evaluation of a person on the basis of irrelevant characteristics such as race, age or gender. The assignment is to take any one of the Implicit Association Tests (IAT) to measure attitudes and beliefs you may not know about consciously. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit bias attitude that you did not know about. For example, you may believe that women and men should be equally associated with science, but your automatic associations could show that you (like many others) associate men with science more than you associate women with science
1.Log on to the Implicit Project:
2. Follow the directions and take an IAT on a topic of your choice
3. What did you discover about yourself?
4. Were you aware of the implicit bias you had toward the characteristic you selected?
5. How will you use this information to guide your nursing practice?