Where Did Theory Come From
The purpose of this Assignment is to explore how a theorist explicates his or her philosophy and thoughts behind a theoretical field. As in other fields of study, nursing has a plethora of theorists and theories. These theorists have developed their paradigm over time enriching it with research and dialogue with other theorists.
BE SURE TO READ THE GRADING RUBRIC PRIOR TO STARTING ASSIGNMENT
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
1. The introduction identifies the purpose of the assignment in a clearly stated fully formed paragraph of at least five sentences in length supported with relevant background and peer reviewed source support.
2. Stage 1 : Theorizing – This part contains at least three concepts identified to what nursing is and what nursing is not.
3. Stage 2 : Syntax – This part of the assignment contains at least two or more terms clearly defined
4. Stage 3 : Theory Testing – Provides two or more examples of how theory was applied to quantitative/qualitative research consisting of different populations and a widening group of researchers outside the discipline of nursing.
5. Stage 4 : Evaluation – Provides at least five examples of how theory is applied through evidenced based practice in the act of providing nursing care.
6. The conclusion restates the main idea, summarizing at least three subpoints, in a fully formed paragraph of a minimum of five sentences in length with peer reviewed source support.
7. Review for correct spelling, grammar, and APA formatting.
8. References must be evidence-based. Please keep websites, html documents, and PDF’s found on the internet to a minimum. Purdue asks students to use the Library to find evidence-based journal articles to use as references. Points will be deducted if references are not evidence-based per grading rubric.
In this assignment, you are going to explore how a nurse theorist of your choice created his or her theory.
You will become the theorist immersing yourself in the writings from the earliest mentioned to the most current literature.
Writing in the voice of the theorist (taking on the persona of the theorist) create the theory through the following four stages.
In the first stage, theorizing occurs. This is where you, as the theorist, identify the concepts of what nursing is and is not. Perhaps you questioned what concepts were guiding those in nursing practice and then started to question your role. You started asking yourself, “Where am I in nursing, and where the profession is going? Is there some overarching concept that guides the professional in his or her practice?” This is where you recognize that a theory is needed.
In the second stage, syntax is developed. This is where you will define the terms. Look for changing definitions of terms. Consider, for example, Jean Watson. She starts by defining the word “caring.” Within the last ten years she has refined her terminology changing the term caring to caritas. This demonstrates a growth and maturation from decades of research she and other scholars did to produce the theory of caring.
The third stage is theory testing. Defined as the phenomena behind the theory that are exposed through research. The definitions of terms are refined. The theorists and other researchers consider whether this theory helps answer questions that arise in practice. This is where your theory is used in by a widening group of researchers. For example, graduate nursing students request the tool you developed while testing your theory.
The fourth and last stage is evaluation. This is where philosophical debate occurs as the concepts are applied through evidenced based practice in the act of providing nursing care.
For this Assignment, you will write on how you developed your theory through the four stages (theorizing, syntax, theory testing, and evaluation). Your paper must be 3 to 5 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- Minimum requirement of at least five sources of support
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition