For your assignment you will prepare a proposal. This proposal will be approximately
10-12 pages. Please follow APA style (6th edition).
Part I: Background
1. Determine the area/field or potential problem for your group:
(e.g., divorce, substance abuse, transitions, eating disorder, loss-bereavement,
children of divorce, building social skills, stepfamily issues, families of alcoholics,
test-taking anxiety)? Explain this problem and state a clear rationale for your
2. Conduct a literature review. Some documents to facilitate your review have been
placed in the course Resources section. You will use the library database to
identify through the literature most important issues faced by group members
a. Identify possible target areas discovered by past research and practice
b. Use at least five cited references (from journal articles) and at least two
3. Determine one of the specialization areas (e.g., task, psychoeducation,
counseling or therapy). Align the specialization area with the potential problem,
which will now be your topic.
4. Specify the form and the content of at least six group sessions and an objective
for each group meeting. You may use bullets of subtopic areas or content for
each session, but be sure to explain the focus of the sessions. You may plan to
have more than six group session, but do not need to explain the subtopic areas
of more than six.
Part II: Group Logistics
5. Describe the duration of your group with justification to cover the main topic and
allow for change.
6. Define the number of participants with a rationale for who to include and who to
exclude. List criteria such as gender, cognitive ability, maturity, duration of issue,
frequency of issue, intensity of issue, acceptance and/or completion of issue.
7. Describe anticipated changes as a result of members’ participation.
8. Identify potential obstacles in your topic area.
9. Explain how you would address individual goals and goals of the group as a
whole (e.g., coaching, role play, support for and opportunity to transfer learning
to real life)?
Part III: Group Leadership, Theory, and Techniques
10. Identify your theoretical orientation and any special considerations for the group.
11. What are your personal leadership qualities? What are some of your
12. Explain if this group will be facilitated only by you, or if you will use a co-leader
13. What are some strengths of the theory from which you will work and benefits for
group members? What are some limitations?