1. MUST be a total of 4-5 FULL pages in length.
2. This is a Fixing Cultural/Societal Problems Essay; you will pick a specific problem YOU see in our culture/society/world to focus on.
EXAMPLE: You may believe that our planet is in trouble due to pollution & the gross amounts of trash humans produce per year. This could be seen as a cultural problem due to Americans being taught to be consumers from the womb & one doesn’t have to look far to see how society views littering & polluting as a whole.
First: Introduce your topic (intro ¶ & thesis), prove that the problem is real/give brief history & explain why it should be taken seriously. (body paragraphs)
Then: Tell us what solutions/fixes have already been tried, by whom, & why they aren’t completely eradicating the problem. (body paragraphs)
Next: Present & logically explain your new & UNIQUE idea to help fix/solve this issue; MUST be at least ¾ of a page of the paper in total.
Last: The solution section is NOT your conclusion! The conclusion of the paper should represent the entire paper: remind us why this topic is important & why we should care; reiterate your thesis, but not verbatim; and wrap up the essay.
REMEMBER: This is an ideology essay, so always ask yourself:
a. What are the messages I am getting about the way things “ought to be” or what is “right & true” beliefs
accepted by the general public?
b. How am I getting these messages? (e.g. TV shows, commercials, sermons)
c. Who is benefitting from these messages?
d. Who is being “hurt” by the messages?
3. FIVE credible SOURCES (minimum) are a requirement. Remember WebMD, Wiki, & all dictionaries AND encyclopedias are not credible source.
4. You MUST turn in a Fixed Annotated Works Cited page with your rough drafts & final paper.
5. You must use ONE (no more, no less) properly formatted long quote (MLA); the only difference is that you will single space the long quote.
6. You MUST use one properly formatted subtitle.
7. The solution section is worth 40pts
8. The words “I” & “you” are NOT permitted in your papers unless it is in a
direct quote. The word “it” may be used 1x per ¶.
9. Margins: top & both sides should be 1 inch; bottom should be set to .5; also, do not forget to turn your “widow/orphan” off & to click/mark the “do not add space between paragraphs of the same style” option.
10. Font & Size of Font: Times New Roman, 12pt font. (ALWAYS)
11. The heading will be single spaced, as shown in class; the rest of the essay is double spaced.
I already have 5 sources in the following attachment for you to use, if you need to use or not use a source. Update the annotated works cited with whatever was changed