Looking for help with this question. I have already input the information, but am looking for verification.
The City of Yuma, Arizona accounts for debt service related to its $10,000,000 face value, 5% general obligation term bonds, issued July 1, 2019, in a debt service fund. The city’s accounting year ends on June 30. Interest on the bonds is due each December 31 and June 30.
The following events occur in fiscal 2020:
1. The debt service fund budget called for $1,250,000 in transfers from the general fund, $20,000 in income on investments, and appropriations for the two semiannual interest payments.
2. The general fund transferred $1,250,000 to the debt service fund on August 15. The debt service fund invested the cash.
3. The debt service fund liquidated investments carried at $300,000 for $315,000 and made the December 31 interest payment.
4. The debt service fund liquidated investments carried at $270,000 for $260,000 and made the June 30 interest payment.
5. Dividend and interest income for the year, received in cash, was $45,000.
6. At June 30, 2020, the debt service fund’s investments had a fair value of $660,000.
Assume that all debt service fund resources are committed.
a. Prepare the journal entries to record the above events in the debt service fund. Include necessary closing entries.